Wednesday, October 12, 2011

4:00 AM

A soft crying invades my dream, and I am suddenly wide awake.  I am opening the door to Miles' room before I am fully conscious of what is going on..  His light is on, and there he stands in the center of the room, sobbing in his white t-shirt and diaper.  I go to him, trying to figure out what is upsetting my poor little boy in the middle of the night.

I never do figure it out.  I pick him up, turn off the light, and hum lullabies as he snuggles in and the crying subsides.  For a time, this continues, until his little eyes finally droop and his soft body becomes heavy.  And laying there, in the dark, I make a decision to stay here just a little longer, treasuring this moment when Mommy can cure any ill, knowing that this time is fleeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment