Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Fairy Tale

It was last month when a friend posted on Facebook, "Fairy tales are full of it."

I couldn't keep silent.  I am living, breathing proof that fairy tales do happen.  I live in one.  I married my soul mate.  We have the most awesome son.  Friends who have become family, and family I truly want to be friends with.  I am the Cinderella who grew up in poverty (and as a kid, I felt like my parents were evil and the chores were unreasonable) and was transported into a life of comfort with my handsome prince.

Were there dragons?  Of a metaphorical sense, yes.  There were parents who didn't approve.  Distance that nearly tore us asunder.  PPD that made me the dragon, tearing into those I love best. There was the day-to-day cooking-cleaning-morning breath-irritate the shit out of each other-messy life.  And really?  That has been the biggest dragon.

And yet?  All of my dreams have come true.  I have everything I ever dreamed of, and it's better.  Because it's real, and it's mine.

So, to my handsome prince, I love you.  Five years of marriage.  13 years of togetherness, fighting the dragons of our world like the heroes of fable.  Thank you for my fairy tale.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment