Monday, May 20, 2013

One Month

Dear Samantha,

As of today, you have been in our lives for one month.  In many ways, the month has flown by, but mostly, I find myself wondering how it's only been a month.  You fit so perfectly into our little family, as though you've always been here.  As though there was a space waiting for you, and we just didn't realize it.  Already, it's hard to remember a time when you weren't here.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't quite mastered this whole "mom to two" thing, yet.  Getting out the door in the mornings takes all the energy and patience I can muster.  I expected that getting two kids ready would take longer - maybe even twice as long.  The reality is that it takes almost four times longer when I'm by myself.  I'm not sure how, but there's always that 'one more thing' that needs to be done.  I watch the minutes fly, wondering why Miles is naked again and why I can't find your pacifier.  I mean, really, didn't you just have it?!?

None of that is really your fault, though.  You are the most calm, chill baby in the world.  Most of the time, you are completely content to go with the flow.  You can sleep on my lap, in your swing, in your bassinet, or on a blanket on the grass.  On the rare occasion that you are awake, you mostly just stare at the world around you, wide-eyed and silent.  When you're hungry, you make little grunting noises.  If you actually start to cry, I know something is wrong.  In the entire month of your life, you've only cried a handful of times.

What I'm saying is, can you just keep this up?  Because it's kinda awesome.

I could go on and on, describing your soft, dark hair and your bright blue eyes.  Or your heart-breakingly happy smile.  Or your little monkey toes that wrap around my finger, as though you want to hold onto me with everything you have.  But, I could never, ever describe the perfection that is you.

I love you, Little Lady.  With all my heart.
-Mommy-

1 comment:

  1. And Grammy and Papa love you sooo much, as well! We miss seeing you already and want you to slow down with all of this growing already! You are the perfect addition to our wonderful, crazy family! Love you, Little One!

    ReplyDelete