Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Views on Mother's Day

"Happy Mother's Day" has an entirely new meaning this year. For the first time, ever, this is my day, too. And I feel so blessed. I would love to be able to do an entire post on how amazing it is to be a mother. Because it is. It is the best thing I've ever done. I could cure cancer, win an Olympic gold medal, and eliminate world hunger, and I would still look at my son as my greatest accomplishment. Because he is. He is a miracle that I prayed for, and a blessing that I thank God for every night.

Yes, being a mother is the greatest thing in the world. Which is why I have to rant, just a little, about the day designated to honor us Mothers.

Every year around this time, I hear moms asking each other "What do you want for Mother's Day?" The responses vary. One wants those diamond earrings she's had her eye on. Another wants a massage. Another is hoping for a fancy dinner at a high-dollar restaurant.

But the response I hear most often is: "A day without my kids."

Let's examine that statement. You are a mother because you have kids. So you want to spend the day celebrating your status as a woman who has kids by getting away from them? That's ridiculous.

To me, Mother's Day, if you're going to celebrate it at all, should be a day where you celebrate all it means to be a mother. Yes, I think that Dad should help Mom out a little more - do the dishes for her, allow her to sleep in or take a nap, that sort of thing. But why not spend the day with your children? Those adorable little people that chose you to be their mother. Do something fun with them. It should be something you enjoy, but take them with you.

Perhaps I'm a little biased, though. See, I have this amazing mom, who loved spending time with her kids. I remember spending almost every Mother's Day at the Riverfest, just hanging out with Mom. Because that's what Mom wanted to do - spend time with us. And we loved her for it. I'm sure we got her gifts and cards,* but that's not what I remember. I remember spending the entire day with her, having fun. And I know that's what she remembers, too.

I get that moms are stressed. And tired. And need a break. I am all of those things, all the time. And I know my mother was all of those things, too. But I will never understand how spending a day without your children is a celebration of Mother's Day. Take your break one of the other 364 days of the year.

As for me, I will be spending the day with my husband and my son at the zoo, creating memories.

*At least, I hope we did?

1 comment:

  1. Mother's Day was just another day...we got to spend it at Riverfest because we wanted to hang out there...Because I have two wonderful daughters, every day was Mother's Day...you two would find a way to make every day special...sing me a song, write me a poem, read a book with me, or play with me at the park on the way home from school...every day was amazing....and I am glad that you are seeing how special your son is...he will have fantastic memories of his mommy when he grows up!!!

    *and I almost always got cards and presents...they were all lovingly homemade by my two special "little girls"


    I Love you!
    Give my boy a snug and a hug from Grammy and Papa!

    ReplyDelete