Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth

I know I haven't posted for awhile, and you're anxious for news of Miles, but today, I have only a few minutes and there are some things I should really say today.

I know it's not 'cool' to be patriotic anymore. And there are days that I want to bang my head on the wall because of some of the stupid things we Americans do from time to time. But honestly, I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else.

Americans are granted more freedoms than any other country in history. There are places in this where you can be executed for disagreeing with your government. Or for practicing the 'wrong' religion. Or for any number of other things. We are so unbelievable lucky to live in a country that allows us all to think what we want to, say what we want to, and do what we want to. Our freedoms make us special, even when they cause us to disagree.

As Americans, it is easy for us to take all of this for granted. To talk about how stupid our country is. How it's 'going down the tubes' or at least 'in the wrong direction'. To get all worked up over political divisions, the problems with health care, immigration, sexism, racism, unemployment, the terrible economy. And on, and on, and on.

But here's the thing: we're allowed to talk about it. We're allowed to disagree, and to voice our concerns. We're encouraged to say what we think.

And though there are many reasons I love this country, that is why I am unafraid to say that I am proud to be an American.

God bless, and have a Happy Fourth of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment