Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Franchises

I hate them.  They're awful.  I mean, really.  How many Land Before Times are necessary before they get the idea that we, the public, are over it?  I have always avoided sequels to decent shows, when it's obvious that they were only done for money.

Unfortunately, I know have a two-year-old, who adores a large green ogre named Shrek.  And after the first two-hundred times of watching the original, I gave in and watched part two (which Stacey owns).  Which Miles promptly fell in love with.  And watched a few hundred times.

There comes a point in every person's life when reality wins out over ideals.  Watching an ogre meet his in-laws for the thousandth time was mine.  I caved, and asked for parts three and four for Miles for Christmas.  Now, when he wants 'Feck, I can at least cycle through four different movies, so that I'm not reciting every line word for word in my sleep.  I still hate franchises.  But, I understand them, now.  And I endorse them with my dollars.

But once my son is past this stage of life, I plan to go back to boycotting them again.

1 comment: