Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolve

I'm not much for resolutions.  Most times, they are forgotten within a day or two, never to be pursued.  So, rather than resolutions, I have begun a tradition of working on one thing for a year.

My first year of doing this, my resolution was simply to Be Nice.  I have a bad habit of speaking my mind, even when I should keep my mouth shut.  I decided that for one year, I was going to try biting my tongue when the situation called for it.

Three weeks into that year, I discovered that I was pregnant with Miles.  For those of you who weren't around for that, let's just say that the hormones surging through my body, combined with my utter hatred of pregnancy in general meant that I was cranky for most of that year.  And that was the year I assistant directed a musical as well.  I had zero patience for drama, and spent much of my summer with actors.  Not exactly a good environment for being nice.  But, I managed.  And I came out with a healthier understanding of how to play the politics when the situation dictated.

After that fiasco, I gave myself a year off from resolutions.  No sense tempting fate.

In 2011, my resolution was to Get Organized.  And, of course, 2011 turned out to be one of the busiest, most tumultuous years in memory.  However, as 2011 drew to a close, organization was beginning to emerge.

So, with two victories under my belt, I am confident in my ability to keep my 2012 resolution.

Be Healthier.

That's it.  Eat a little better, maybe.  Join a gym.  Spend less time in front of the television, and more time moving.  Take my meds on time every day.  A greater variety of foods.  If I can do any of these, this will be a successful year.

So, here goes.  Bring it, 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment