Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Confession

I don't watch the news.

I don't mean just tv news, though I honestly never watch that.  I mean that I don't really pay a lot of attention to the news at all.  I will read headlines in the morning, but I rarely follow up and read the articles.

Do I feel uninformed?  A little.  But here's the truth: the news, as it is presented in this country, only serves to fuel my anxiety.  Example: North Korea is launching rockets.  That's something to panic over, until you realize that there's really nothing we can do about it as individuals.  That we've done what we can by electing officials to panic over these things.  Spending time worrying over whether or not this spells disaster fixes nothing, and only serves to drive me away from my family, as I sit in a corner, in a fit of anxiety, trying to calm myself.  So, I read the headlines, pray for our leaders to make good decisions, and try to put it out of my mind.

In the end, I'd rather ignore the world and focus on keeping those around me happy and healthy.  And I truly believe that if we each did a little of that, the headlines may not be so panic-inducing.

No comments:

Post a Comment