Monday, August 6, 2012

30 by 30 Update


With only a year (and a few days) left in this challenge, I thought I should update.  I'm a little appalled at how many things I have left to do.  However, I'm also a little impressed with all I've done so far. :)
  1. Read thirty books off of the list of top 100 banned books.
    • Fahrenheit 451
    • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    • Catcher in the Rye
    • In the Midnight Kitchen
    • Brave New World
  2. Make thirty crafts I have not tried before.  Bonus points if each serves a practical purpose. 
    1. Stencil t-shirts.
    2. Flower barrettes/headbands
    3. Girl's skirt from t-shirt
    4. Tree for stuffed animals for Miles' room (in progress).
    5. Polka dots for Miles' wall.
    6. Silhouette art for my wall.
    7. Steampunk Clock wall art
    8. Crocheted headbands
    9. Crocheted blanket (in progress)
  3. Choreograph a dance for my children's group.  All by myself.
    1. Ergo Sum - Which will be debuted at the Festival in less than a month.
  4. Take 30,000 pictures.
    1. 6500 so far
  5. Cook or bake 30 dishes I have never made before.
    1. Homemade Salsa
    2. Easier Homemade Salsa
    3. Stuffed Pork Chops
    4. Easy Chicken Pasta
    5. Chicken Noodle Soup
    6. Baked Ham & Fixin's
  6. Watch 30 classic movies I've never seen.
    1. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"
    2. "The Seven Year Itch"
    3. "Casablanca"
  7. Learn to knit or crochet.
    1. Hand-Knitting: Accomplished.  Not fond of it, but I can do it.
    2. Crocheting: Accomplished.  Multiple baby hats, headbands, and various accessories created.  Crocheted headband sold on Etsy.
    3. Loom-Knitting: Accomplished.  Hate it.
    4. Finger Knitting: Accomplished.  Prefer crochet.
  8. Take a dance lesson, or preferably, a dance class.
  9. Take Miles to a new museum/event/activity/experience at least once a month.
    1. August 2011 through March 2012: Don't remember what all we did, but I did keep up.
    2. April 2012 - WonderScope
    3. May 2012 - Floating Lanterns trip planned for Memorial Day weekend
  10. Simplify my life by getting rid of things I do not need.
    1. Donated 4 boxes to Goodwill between Dec. 2011 and May 2012
  11. Organize all of our household paperwork, and keep up on it.
  12. Start my own business.  Even if it's just selling a few craft items online from time to time.
    1. Etsy business established.  Two items sold, custom made, and delivered.
  13. Finish illustrating the children's book I wrote in college.
  14. Open a savings account for Miles.
  15. Send birthday cards to everyone in my immediate circle of family/friends for at least one year.
  16. Take Dominic through obedience classes.
  17. Decide if/when I'm going to go back for my Master's degree, and what I'm going to study.
  18. Audition for a musical.
  19. Quit my Festival job and become a full-time stay-at-home mom. Find a better balance between work and mommyhood, whether that means quitting my job or not.
    1. Done. 
  20. Compile my music collection into one place.
    1. In-roads have been made.  Technology is fighting me. Boo.
  21. Get a digital copy of every important photograph I have, and store them in a safe place.
    1. Process begun.
  22. Finish my digital family tree.
    1. Using Ancestry.com, family tree is now accurate to at least three generations on every side. Not sure when I'll consider it "finished".
  23. Exercise every single day for at least 30 days.
    1. So far, three times a week has been my best record.
  24. Learn at least 30 new signs for use at Special Olympics.
    1. "How many tickets?" - Need refresher.
    2. "Which?" - Need refresher.
    3. "Where is your coach?" - Need to learn.
    4. "Which events are you competing in?" - Need to learn
    5. "What time?" - Need to learn.
    6. Responses to "What time?" - Need to learn.
    7. "Where is your interpreter?" - Need to learn
    8. "She's/He's not here." - Need to learn.
    9. "She's busy with her child(ren)." - Need to learn.
    10. "I don't know much sign language." - Need to learn.
    11. "Do you want:" - Need to learn
    12. "Stuffed animals?" - Need to learn.
    13. "Candy?" - Need refresher.
    14. "Ball?" - Need refresher
    15. "Puzzle?" - Need to learn
    16. "Necklace?" - Need to learn
  25. Learn to play at least ten new games.
  26. Become more involved in the financial planning of our household.
    1. Downloaded an app to help track finances.  It was horrible, and reset to zero at the end of each month.  Trying to find a better one.
    2. As of mid-July, I have taken over budgeting and spending for the household account.
  27. Set up our wills, and arrange for custody of Miles, should anything unfortunate happen.
  28. Find a church where my family is comfortable, and become an active member.
  29. Participate in a flash mob. - DONE!
  30. Contact at least ten of my teachers from elementary, middle, high school, and college, and tell them how they have influenced my life.
    1. Mrs. Alexander - Freshman & Senior College-Bound English
    2. Mrs. Heath - Kindergarten
    3. Mr. Simmons - Middle & High School Gifted

No comments:

Post a Comment