Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I suck at routine

I suck at routines.

No, really.  So much so that when I told Patrick I wasn't good at routines, he laughed and said, "I know."

But, I have a toddler, now.  Routines are supposed to help.  Actually, from the time I spent in schools, and in college studying such things, I know kids - especially toddlers and preschoolers - thrive on routine.  I know this spontaneous streak of mine is rough on him.  I remember how exciting it was for my parents to whisk me away on another adventure at any given moment.  I also remember that the rest of the time, the routine was nice.

So, in an attempt to force myself to stick to a routine, I'm going to post my routine here, and try to update it once every week or two, just to make sure I'm actually doing it.  Hold me to it!  If I go more than two weeks without updating the internet on our current schedule, please remind me!  Because it's even odds as to whether I just forgot to update, or I just flaked on routine again. . .

Anyhow: Proposed Routine - August 2012

Wake up (usually around 7:30) until 8:45 am - Breakfast and quiet tv time while I drink my coffee and become human
8:45 - 9:00 am - Get dressed and ready for the day. [Take Miles to the bathroom again]
9:00 - 11:30 am - Field Trip (even if it's just walking to the nearby playground, or playing in our own backyard - anything OUT of the house)
11:30 am - 12:00 pm - LUNCH [Bathroom]
12:00 - 12:30 pm - Quiet playtime, wind down time with Miles.  Books, puzzles, etc.
12:30 - 2:00 pm - Nap.  I'm going to try to stick to this time, so it's consistent with his school nap time.
2:00 - 2:30 pm - Snack and quiet cuddle time with mommy.  Books optional. [Bathroom]
2:30 - 2:45 pm - Learning activities (even if it's just coloring or playing with stickers)
2:45 - 3:30 pm - Miles and Mommy play time.  No electronic devices or distractions.
3:30 - 4:00 pm - Miles independent play time.  Mommy does housework, etc. [Bathroom]
4:00 - 4:30 pm - Fun activity in the kitchen - play doh, paint, water, etc
4:30 - 5:30 pm - Miles independent play while Mommy makes dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment