Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Trap of Mother's Day Out

Miles attends a Mother's Day Out program two days a week.  In theory, this gives me time to do all of the things that are difficult to do with a rowdy toddler in tow.  Usually, my to-do list looks something like this:

  • Pick up a couple of items from the store
  • Stop at the post office
  • Make sweet tea, lemonade, etc for the week
  • Bake cookies or other yummies
  • Finish a dozen or so craft projects
  • Clean the kitchen
  • Vacuum the whole house
  • Clean out Miles' room, and thin out his toy hoard
  • Clean out the garage/basement
  • Drop off items to be donated at Goodwill
  • Do all of the laundry in the whole house
  • Write blog posts
  • Shower in peace
  • Brush the cat
  • Do some gardening
  • Take a nice, long nap
Etc, etc, etc.  Often, my list goes on for pages beyond anything I could conceivably accomplish in a mere five hours.  And, in looking at the daunting to-dos, I get overwhelmed and my brain fries, and I lose all sense of what to do first.  So, instead, my 'Things Accomplished' list looks more like this:
  • Go to store, pick up a dozen things we don't need and forget the one thing we do
  • Drive past the post office with the intention to stop in later
  • Make myself a quick lunch
  • Sit in front of the television while I eat, and then get stuck there for the rest of the day.
  • Try to do a load of laundry, a load of dishes, and vacuum the living room in the last half hour before I have to pick up Miles.
Sigh.  Apparently, I cannot be trusted to accomplish anything when left to my own devices. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment