Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Joys of Teething

So, today has been a looooooooong day.

Let me just start by saying that teething is a b*tch. Seriously. Those top two teeth are thisclose to coming through the gums, but they just won't do it. Which results in a baby who gnaws on his hands constantly. Which causes him to gag, and puke, and worry his Mama. It also results in a baby who can no longer sleep through the night.

I knew it was too good to be true when he started sleeping from 10:00pm until 8:00 am every night - starting at about 8 weeks old. Last night, he finally zonked out around 10:30, and I followed suit about a half an hour later. At 3:30, he woke up screaming, gnawing on his fists like there was no tomorrow. We patted him, soothed him, gave him a bottle, and he finally fell back asleep around 4:00. About 5:30, he woke up fussing because his pacifier had fallen out. I gave it back, and he went right back to sleep. He woke up screaming at 7:00, gnawing on those hands again, but not really wanting anything. Patrick soothed him this time, and Miles finally fell back asleep at 7:30. Patrick's alarm started going off at 7:40, and by 8:00, all three of us were up for the day.

In any other context, that sort of sleep interruption would constitute torture. Do you think we can get the UN Peacekeepers to come talk to Miles about this? :)

Not having had enough sleep, Miles was a little cranky-butt for about 20 minutes after waking up. He finally decided that he wanted the bottle I had been shoving in his face since he woke up. Then, all was better for awhile. We played with the play gym. We had tummy time. We played with a jingle ball. Ate another bottle. Lots of happy smiles all around.

Around 10:30, he finally started getting sleepy, so I popped him in his stroller (which makes a great portable bed, by the way), got him all settled with a pacifier and his Glow Worm, and put him in the bathroom so I could take a quick shower. 20 minutes later, he was still awake, fighting sleep, as only he knows how. I scooped him up and we cuddled down for a cozy little nap.

45 minutes later, he decided that screaming his head off into Mom's ear was an appropriate way to wake her. :(

He was hungry, still making up for the food he lost in the fiasco that was Sunday, I guess. He ate again, and was happy to play again. This time, I laid him beside me on the couch to nap while I grabbed some lunch. I was hoping this would be his long nap. No such luck. 20 minutes later, he woke up, hungry again.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Now, we're in the nap section of our little cycle, and I'm wondering how long it will last this time. If I thought for a moment that it would last for a reasonable amount of time, I'd curl up on the floor next to him. As it is, I've been awakened by a screaming baby enough for one day.

And, through all of this, he is gnawing on his hands as though he planned to swallow them, arm and all. The two teeth still haven't pushed through, but they're there, just beneath the surface, every time he bites down on my finger. I keep hoping that next time he bites, it will be a little sharper, because that may mean a little relief for my handsome little man.

In the meantime, anyone know the number for the UN?

No comments:

Post a Comment