Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Long Overdue Thank You

I was reflecting the other day that this time a year ago, I had just found out that I was pregnant. While most women wait to announce their pregnancies until that magical 2nd trimester, I told anyone who would listen the moment I knew. Most women wait, on the off chance that something happens to the baby. They don't want to get everyone excited if something goes wrong.

Maybe most women don't have the sort of family and friends that I do. The kind that are there to support you, no matter what. On one hand, I was so incredibly excited that I was bursting to share the news. But, on the other hand, I knew that if anything were to happen to my precious baby, I would need a ton of support. And I knew that they would be there to give it to me.

Fast forward to this week, as I realize, once again, how wonderful my friends are. I take Miles with me to work, and can leave him sleeping in his playpen, because I know Maestro will be there to pick him up if he cries. I have a rough afternoon, and Stacey and Bethany offer to take Miles for a half hour, so I can regain some sanity before our evening get-together. I take him to dance class, and never for one moment worry about who is holding him, though he is passed from person to person the entire night. I am incredibly lucky to have friends who support me at every turn, who often know instinctively what it is that I need. And more importantly, I am incredibly lucky to have so many friends who love Miles unconditionally.

Family means so many different things to so many different people. To me, there are two types of family: the family you are born with, and the family you choose. The family I was born to is amazing and supportive, affectionate and warm. I love them no matter what they do or don't do. That's part of the deal. And one day, I will find a way to put into words that special bond that comes with being related by blood, experiencing the same things for nearly twenty years.*

But equally difficult to define is the bond between family that has chosen - and continues to choose daily - to be a part of one another's lives. None of these people have to love me, but they do. And I will never find a way to adequately say "thank you" to them.

*It's been longer than twenty years, now, but our experiences diverged after I went to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment