Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love.

Since it is Valentine's Day, I did not intend to post today, but my boys are napping, so I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on Love.

When I was small, Love was reading books with Mommy. Playing on the computer with Daddy. Sharing secrets with my sister. Love was homemade hot chocolate on Christmas morning. A tent of blankets hung on the back gate, heated by a dryer vent, where Tami and I could escape the snow. Making breakfast at Grandma and Grandpa's house. My dog running to meet me when I came home from school. Love was comfort, and safety, and warmth.

When I met Patrick, Love was learning to ice skate. Eating breakfast together in the school cafeteria. Driving around aimlessly, just talking and sipping hot cocoa.* Going to movies and holding hands in the dark. Going on picnics. Sitting in his parents' living room making costumes. Love was comfort, and safety, and warmth, but now included selflessness, and longing, and a desire to be together that is still so consuming, it is sometimes overwhelming.

Then, I had Miles, and was introduced to an entirely new kind of Love. Now, Love is long eyelashes whispering across my cheek first thing in the morning. Grey-blue eyes that study my face when I'm not looking. My dimple on a little chubby cheek. Legs bouncing uncontrollably in excitement. Pureed carrots behind an ear. Two boys, one big and one little, snoozing away, all cuddled up. Taking endless pictures so that I never forget a moment. Love is still comfort, and safety, warmth, selflessness, and longing, a desire to be together forever. And now, Love is also protective, and innocent, and pure.

Love is patient. Love is kind. I know this because I have been blessed to know Love. In many forms. And I know that now, we have started this cycle of Love over again in Miles. I only hope that he, too, will come to know Love in all of it's many forms. There is nothing more I could wish for him.

*Apparently, hot cocoa = Love. No wonder I'm addicted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment