Sunday, April 25, 2010

Moving On Up!

My little boy is growing up. :(

I know, I know. I'm always saying that. But seriously? This is a major milestone.

He's moving into his own room.

Yep. Tonight will be his very first night sleeping in his own bedroom all by himself! Like a big boy! I thought putting the crib up was bad, but moving him out of our bedroom seems like a huge step in his journey away from that soft cuddly newborn he was not so long ago. And while I'm sad to see him moving away from me, figurative step by (soon) literal step, I am so excited for him. Because this means that he is growing like he should be. That he is healthy. Normal. And while I hear moms say all the time that they wish their baby "could stay little forever," I know in my heart that I am glad he's growing. I know that I wouldn't want to limit him to being little forever. I am excited to see each new thing that he learns, because it brings him one step closer to being the person he will become someday.

And perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this. I mean, it's not like he's moving to the next state. He's simply moving into the next room - literally a dozen steps further than he has been. And I know it's time. When I roll over in my sleep, I hear Miles stir, just a little. When Patrick comes to bed late, Miles sometimes wakes enough to need to be comforted back to sleep. When Lilo, our dog, moves across the room to find a more comfortable spot, it sometimes wakes Miles completely. All of the little noises that come with sharing a room are interrupting his sleep. So, we are making the obvious and practical choice, and moving him to his own room.

And yet, the thought of him being so far away brings tears to my eyes. Because it means my baby is growing up. And that is the most bittersweet thing I have ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment