Thursday, December 16, 2010

More Silliness

As a continuation of my unintentional theme of "Funny Stories About Miles" this week, Patrick encouraged me to share the following little anecdote which occurred last week.*

The scene: our living room.  Miles was playing quietly by himself, for a change, so I was addressing Christmas cards.  Miles began playing a new game I like to call Running Into the Kitchen, Opening and Slamming Cabinet Doors, Then Running Out and Yelling Hi Before Doing It All Again (RIKOSCDTROYHBDIAA for short)**.  He was averaging about three rounds of this game for each envelope I addressed (recipient and return).

I knew something was wrong when I finished an entire envelope without a single "Hi!"

I stood up to go check on the Suddenly Silent Miles (SSM), but it turned out to be unnecessary.  Because at that moment, he emerged from the kitchen.  Sopping. Wet.

I couldn't help it.  I cocked an eyebrow and asked, "Did you find the dog water?"

Miles looked up at me, grinning from ear to ear, and shrugged his tiny shoulders.  Then, rather clearly, said "Ess.  I did."

I lost it.  His adorable little soaking wet smile and unabashed admission of guilt were too much.  I laughed.  I literally doubled over, and laughed until I was gasping for air, and my eyes were watering.

Miles turned his head sideways, and looked at me, concerned.  He walked over, pointed up, and said, "Uhstairs?"

"Do we need to go upstairs and change you?" I asked, still trying to get it under control.

Very seriously, he looked at me, all trace of humor gone, and he said, "Ess.  Uhstairs." And then signed "please".  It was clear he thought his Mom-mom had lost her marbles.

Until I scooped him up and airplaned him up the stairs to the sounds of his squealing delight.  I love Mommyhood. :)

*Or, as I like to refer to it, the Week of Teething and Illness Hell.  Or WoTaIH for short.  Go ahead.  Try to pronounce it.  I dare you. :)

** I have a talent for names, no?

2 comments:

  1. Amazing talent Tabitha. I can literally hear Miles saying those words out loud. With that said, I think your talent is not so much about names than it is with baby whispering. You seem to know how to speak their language. Wanna teach me sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tina. That is a very kind compliment. I've worked most of my life with children (literally, even when I was still a child myself), so apparently I've picked up a few things. :)

    ReplyDelete