Sunday, February 6, 2011

Okay, so I swore I would never talk about sleep again, but. . .

This isn't exactly about sleep.  More about a cute little routine that happens pre-sleep.  It's more about reading, really, and cuteness, and . . . you know what?  I'm going to stop talking and just tell you the story already. . .*

I have been blessed with a child who adores books.  He will sit and 'read' to himself.  He can choose his favorite books off of the shelf by looking at the spine.  He can stare at pictures for ages.  But, inevitably, it ends with him bringing me a book, and signing "please book?"

I love reading with my son.  It's one of the few times he will still cuddle with me, voluntarily.  He loves to point out his favorite parts of the pictures.  He likes to turn the pages for me, and he knows exactly when to do it on all of his favorite books.  But the best?  We save that for a sleepy-time book.

"Guess How Much I Love You?" begins with Little Nutbrown Hare trying to tell Big Nutbrown Hare how much he loves him.  Big Nutbrown Hare says he loves him more, and it goes back and forth.  It ends with Little Nutbrown Hare saying, "I love you right up to the moon!"  Big Nutbrown Hare settles him into bed, and kisses him good-night, and then lays down close by.  The book ends with Big Nutbrown Hare saying, "I love you right up to the moon - and back."

As we near the end of the book each time, Miles snuggles in, turning the pages the instant I've finished reading them.  When Big Nutbrown Hare kisses Little Nutbrown Hare good-night, Miles leans his face up, asking for his own good-night kiss.  And as the two hares settle down for the night, Miles curls up on my chest, and goes quiet.  His eyes are usually closing as I put away the book.  And for just a moment, all is right in the world.

*If you don't know me, I totally do this every.single.time I tell a story.  My friends are saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment