Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Toddler Gym

So, in my quest to find something, anything to keep Miles occupied and get us out of the house, I stumbled across this wonderful thing:

Toddler Open Gym.

Our local community center (which is literally a 2 min drive away) opens up their gym for two hours twice a week just for kids under 5 to come play.  Even better, they then fill that gym with ride-on toys, push toys, balls of varying sizes, and a massive bounce house.

Having no idea that it would be so cool, but desperately trying to avoid being stuck at home, I took Miles for the first time today.  He ran from one corner of the room to the other, trying out dozens of toys and balls, and crawling in and out of the bounce house.  He interacted with other children,* pushed cars, pulled wagons, bounced balls, put toys away, pulled them back out, and generally just wore himself out.

After an hour and ten minutes, he came to me, waved bye-bye, and laid his head on my chest, utterly exhausted.  Less than ten minutes later, he was yawning as we walked up the stairs at home.  When we sat down to rock, he buried his head in my shirt and was snoring before I had a chance to put him down - and then slept for the next hour and a half.

I'd call that a success.  Totally worth the dollar I spent on it. :)

*Usually long enough to stare at them, hoping they would drop the toy they had so he could play with it.  It's scary how many times it worked.

2 comments:

  1. wow! i had no idea communitiy centers had stuff like that. cool and totally worth the dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, are we sure he hasn't developed some type of telepathy? Staring at other children and putting the suggestion "drop the toy" into their minds.
    If only he could teach me to develop my own super powers. :)

    ReplyDelete