Thursday, March 3, 2011

Focusing on the Positive

In a week that has been filled with such joys as a broken engine, a teething toddler, and a Highly Stressful Work Environment, it would be easy to whine today.  In fact, part of me wants nothing more than to do just that.  But, whining solves nothing, so instead, I'm going to try making a list of the cute things Miles has done lately.  Those usually cheer me up. :)


  • "Reading".  Miles will sit in the recliner in his room (where we usually read to him), and pull books off the shelf.  He will turn the pages and point to pictures, and occasionally, 'read' it aloud.  I am thrilled beyond belief at his obvious love of books.
  • Blowing kisses.  It's his way of saying, "I love you," and it melts my heart every.single.time, even if I'm not on the receiving end.
  • Playing his toy guitar.  For Christmas, Miles got an toy electric guitar that plays five or six classic rock songs.  In our recent toy cycling, the guitar came out (and the annoying piano thing got put away - yay!).  Miles has been carrying his guitar around, playing it, and then dancing to the music.
  • 'Helping' me at work.  Miles likes to sit on the corner of my desk and rearrange the papers and other items in my paper trays.  Luckily, at this point in the season, they're relatively empty.  :)
  • He also enjoys taking dictation.  I will hand him some paper and a crayon or pencil, and he will scribble on the paper while I talk.  If I stop talking, he stops writing, and looks at me, as if to say, "Is that all?"
  • High fives.  Last night, we had our first audition workshop for the kids' group that I direct.  Miles came and hung out with Daddy for most of the night, but he would occasionally grace us with his presence long enough to do a little dance, blow a little fire, and run around giving absolutely everyone a high five. The girls in my group were positively smitten with him.
  • Pretending to drink out of empty cups.  He will tip them all the way back, as though he is sucking out the last drops, and then puts the cup down, smacks his lips, and says "Ahhhh!"
  • Actually drinking out of open-top cups.  If you put a tiny bit of water into the bottom of a cup, he will drink it.  Only about half ends up on the floor.  "Ahhhh!" is still an important part of the process.
  • Swimming in the bathtub.  He loves to lay on his belly and kick his feet, and swim with his arms.  No idea how he knows the proper arm movements for swimming, but he does.  I can't wait to get this kid back in the pool this summer. :)
  • Helping with absolutely everything.  Taking trash to the trash can.  Wiping up spilled milk off the table.  Choosing his own clothes (out of two options).  The juice ritual.  Vacuuming.  Putting toys away.  Turning the television on.  Putting the dog in the kennel when we leave.
  • Knowing when I need a cuddle.  This week has been rough.  Miles knows that, and is trying to help me by crawling into my lap for a much-needed cuddle that sometimes stretches into twenty minutes or more.  Part of it is his own discomfort, I know, but it sure is nice to have those cuddles on a bad day.
  • Chasing the dog with a giant green balloon.  I don't know why, but he's decided this is fun.  Luckily, the dog agrees, and they play this game with wild abandon back and forth across the living room.  It's all I can do to just sit and giggle the entire time.
  • Watching the "Cucks!" [trucks].  Whether it's the garbage truck, or a delivery truck, or an 18-wheeler, this kid loves his trucks.  He gets so excited to see them.
  • Having conversations.  When I'm working in the kitchen, he will come in, and lean on the doorway or wall and talk to me.  Just like Bethany and Stacey do when I am cooking dinner.  This usually ends when he gets distracted by trying to help me.
  • Pointing at all sorts of things.  If a regular point doesn't elicit the correct response, he will turn his hand sideways, upside down, and all sorts of random angles in an attempt to more accurately point at whatever it is.
  • Clearly saying all sorts of new words, complete with ending sounds.  Some favorites include: hat, hot, T<raspberry> [TV], up, cup, pease [please], shuce [shoes], cat, light, taytu [thank you], owsi [outside], dat [that], esh [yes], and essue [bless you].

No comments:

Post a Comment