Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Me Time

In the evenings, after the rush of bath time and bedtime, a hush falls over the house.  Patrick plays on his computer, or putts around the house, finishing up the odds and ends that come with daily life.  Stacey works on her sewing, or checks her e-mail, or reads quietly on the couch.

This is my second-favorite time of day.*  It's so . . . calm.  And quiet.  Sometimes, the TV is on, but the volume is low, and there is no other noise to compete with it.  Other times, there is no noise, other than the shufflings and breathing of other adults.  It is the sigh of relaxation after a hard day's work.

I spend my time, here, on the computer, tapping out my frustrations, my hopes, my love for my Boy.  Or getting advice from my mommy forums.  Or reading random things that somehow managed to pique my interest.  Most of the time, though, this essential bit of me-time is spent here, in the comforting glow of my little Daphne.

Lately, however, I have opted to shorten this nightly routine as I have rediscovered the unrivaled joy of reading.  It doesn't matter what it is.  It could be a light fiction written for teenagers, or a thick tome of Dickens' classics.  The only thing that matters is reading the words from the page, feeling the heft of the book in my hands, the smell of paper and glue that is so utterly comforting in every way.  The world as we know it fades away.  And I am whisked away.  Again.


*The hours between dinner and bed time are my favorite.

In case you're curious, I am currently reading the latest Terry Pratchett - I Shall Wear Midnight.  If you don't know who Terry Pratchett is, or what the Discworld is, I suggest you fix that post-haste.  Otherwise, I will be forced to . . . to . . . I dunno.  Something horrible, I'm sure. :)

1 comment:

  1. You will be forced to think sad thoughts about the poor, unenlightened people out there, until they rectify the situation by broadening their education to include Pratchett in all his glory.
    I will join you in the thinking sad thoughts part.

    ReplyDelete